Does ezjail require manual configuration?

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 24 01:21:12 UTC 2016

James B. Byrne via freebsd-jail wrote:
> I am experimenting with jails and ezjail on a FreeBSD-11.0 bhyve vm
> guest.  I followed the instructions in the handbook to install ezjail
> and create a jail instance.  I have connectivity issues with this jail
> of which I have inquired in another message.  However, in this case I
> need to discover what the following error message is telling me:
>
>> ezjail-admin update -u
>> src component not installed, skipped
>> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
>> Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from
>> update6.freebsd.org... done.
>> Fetching metadata index... done.
>> Inspecting system... done.
>> Preparing to download files... done.
>> . . .
>> Installing updates...mkdir: /usr/jails/newjail//boot:
>> No such file or directory
>> mtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel: No such file or directory
>> mtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old: No such file or directory
>> touch: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old/.freebsd-update:
>> No such file or directory
>> Could not create kernel backup directory
>
> If these directories are required by ezjail-admin why then do they not
> exist?  If they are not automatically created by ezjail then why does
> the handbook not mention this fact and provide guidance on their
> creation?

The /boot directory is only used by the host system during the machine
boot process to load the kernel. Jails do not do this as they run under
the hosts kernel. I believe ezjail does not create this /boot directory
in the basejail for that reason.

As you can see in this error message
  Installing updates...mkdir: /usr/jails/newjail//boot:
there are 2 // before boot  this is a command syntax error.

I remember this problem being talked about on this list before as a
ezjail bug. Looks like it has not been fixed yet.

Check the jail & questions list archives for details.