Does ezjail require manual configuration?

James B. Byrne byrnejb at harte-lyne.ca
Fri Dec 23 20:42:09 UTC 2016

I am experimenting with jails and ezjail on a FreeBSD-11.0 bhyve vm
guest.  I followed the instructions in the handbook to install ezjail
and create a jail instance.  I have connectivity issues with this jail
of which I have inquired in another message.  However, in this case I
need to discover what the following error message is telling me:

> ezjail-admin update -u
> src component not installed, skipped
> Looking up update.FreeBSD.org mirrors... 4 mirrors found.
> Fetching metadata signature for 11.0-RELEASE from
> update6.freebsd.org... done.
> Fetching metadata index... done.
> Inspecting system... done.
> Preparing to download files... done.
> . . .
> Installing updates...mkdir: /usr/jails/newjail//boot:
> No such file or directory
> mtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel: No such file or directory
> mtree: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old: No such file or directory
> touch: /usr/jails/newjail//boot/kernel.old/.freebsd-update:
> No such file or directory
> Could not create kernel backup directory

If these directories are required by ezjail-admin why then do they not
exist?  If they are not automatically created by ezjail then why does
the handbook not mention this fact and provide guidance on their
creation?

Canada  L8E 3C3