Backups Hardwares for FreeBSD

Albert Shih Albert.Shih at obspm.fr
Tue Oct 23 13:33:29 PDT 2007

 Le 23/10/2007 à 12:03:37-0800, Mike Tibor a écrit
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Paulo Fragoso wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> We have a FreeBSD mail server with 1TB RAID 6 using Areca ARC-1220
>> controler, all works fine.
>>
>> Today our backups are made on DDS-4 tapes, they are very slow and too
>> small, this is our problem. What is a good (modern) alternative to DDS-4
>> working on FreeBSD?
>
> At another job I used a Sony AIT-2 drive to back up a number of BSD/OS and
> FreeBSD boxes, and it was fine.  At the job I'm in now I get to play with
> an ADIC Scalar I2000 tape library with LTO2 drives.  LTO2 is pretty nice,
> but it's starting to get a little expensive.  LTO3 or 4 would be great if
> you can afford it.  I suppose it depends greatly on the budget you have
> available.
>
> If you want to get away from tape, you could build up a disk-based backup
> server with a number of large SATA drives and script something using rsync.

Well....IMHO it's not the same thing. The backup on other server is usable
if you have another bulding, because if the backup server is in same room
if you have fire in you server room you lost everything. With tape you can
put the tape more easyly in another room/building.

But if you can I recommand you to using rsnapshot (it's in ports) it's set
of perl script base on rsync and it's very wonderful tool.

Regards.

--
Albert SHIH
Observatoire de Paris Meudon