Backups Hardwares for FreeBSD

Mike Tibor tibor at tibor.org
Tue Oct 23 13:24:23 PDT 2007

On Tue, 23 Oct 2007, Paulo Fragoso wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a FreeBSD mail server with 1TB RAID 6 using Areca ARC-1220 controler,
> all works fine.
>
> Today our backups are made on DDS-4 tapes, they are very slow and too small,
> this is our problem. What is a good (modern) alternative to DDS-4 working on
> FreeBSD?

At another job I used a Sony AIT-2 drive to back up a number of BSD/OS and
FreeBSD boxes, and it was fine.  At the job I'm in now I get to play with
an ADIC Scalar I2000 tape library with LTO2 drives.  LTO2 is pretty nice,
but it's starting to get a little expensive.  LTO3 or 4 would be great if
you can afford it.  I suppose it depends greatly on the budget you have
available.

If you want to get away from tape, you could build up a disk-based backup
server with a number of large SATA drives and script something using
rsync.

Mike