Bind9: rndc reload doesn't work for slave servers

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Jul 31 19:22:36 UTC 2006

Edda Hochstrate wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've a problem with rndc on a bind9 slave server.
>
> In my opinion afer an "rndc reload" a slave
> should query the master for the soa records of all
> zones stated in named.conf.

Well, unfortunately for you the BIND developers do not agree with you. I
could argue that there are good reasons not to do what you're suggesting,
but I suspect that is not a useful discussion.

> This is what the slave does when started without any zone files on disk.

If that's the behavior you want, and you don't have a lot of zones to deal
with, you could always restart the server instead of using rndc reload.

> Is there a way to force a complete reload of a
> bind9 slave server.

Other than restarting as I suggested above, you could either recursively use
rndc reload <zone>, or rndc refresh <zone>.

Now that I've answered your question, I'd like to suggest that you perhaps
reconsider this goal? If your master and slave name servers are properly
configured, you shouldn't have to do this at all. The master should be
sending out notifys for domains when they are updated, which your slaves can
then act on in near real time. What conditions are you seeing that lead you
to believe that refreshing all your zones at once is necessary?

hth,

Doug