Bind9: rndc reload doesn't work for slave servers

Edda Hochstrate eh at netuse.de
Mon Jul 31 15:23:13 UTC 2006

Hi,

I've a problem with rndc on a bind9 slave server.

In my opinion afer an "rndc reload" a slave
should query the master for the soa records of all
zones stated in named.conf. This is what the slave
does when started without any zone files on disk.

If the slave has already loaded the zones from
the master "rndc reload" has no effect as I can
see in tcpdump output, same with "rndc reconfig".

"rndc reload 123.org" works as expected. The slave
queries the master for the soa record of 123.org and updates
the zone if his own serial is older.

Is there a way to force a complete reload of a
bind9 slave server.

Thanks very much,
Edda