Server Hardware Recommendations

Robert Blayzor rblayzor at inoc.net
Tue Jul 18 02:01:20 UTC 2006

Arie Kachler wrote:
> We've been in business since 1996 and can only praise Dell servers. They
> used to be more expensive, but they are now very competitive in pricing.
> Our first server was a Dell, and it's still going! (only monitoring

I have to second this.  We originally purchased about 30+ Dell servers
five years ago. (mostly 1550's, 2550's and 6450's) and they've chugged
right along.  I think the only problems we've ever had are hard drives
going bad, and I think one RAID card.  That however is quickly solved by
using Dell 4hr support.  Speaking of which, their support is very
affordable.

I also must say that their server hardware is maturing quite well.  We
have all of the models over the years, 1550's, 1650's, 1750's, 1850's
and soon 1950's.  Each model we see significant improvement on the
server architecture.

The only downside is that usually it takes a while for the FreeBSD
drivers to catch up with the newer hardware devices.

We're looking to replace a lot of our old Dell servers now with new Dell
servers (1950's and 1955's) but we have to make sure all of the drivers
have matured before we make such an investment.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC

Logic:   The art of being wrong with confidence...