Server Hardware Recommendations

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 20:38:40 UTC 2006

On 7/17/06, Matt Ruzicka <matt at frii.com> wrote:

> My company has been purchasing almost exclusively Supermicro SuperServers
> for our production FreeBSD server hardware for that last four years or so.
> Over all I'd say we've been quite happy with Supermicro from a product
> stand point, but recently we've been dealing with some odd hardware
> issues.

All of my Supermicro problems have been solved with BIOS upgrades.
I've run across a few versions that were rather odd about SATA drives
and the BIOS hanging during probes (P4SCE v1.2B, problems fixed with
1.2C).

> I was wondering what others are using for production FreeBSD server
> hardware.  I'm most interested to see what manufacturers seem to be rock
> solid from a hardware and FreeBSD interaction perspective and also have
> solid support for those issues that come up from time to time.

I have had nothing but great experiences with Tyan. They also have a
few interesting options that I've been looking at for
security/firewall appliances, such as their
http://www.tyan.com/products/html/trophy_nr16.html with 4 GigE copper
and 4 Fiber interfaces.

--
Jon