Password file

David J. Orman ormandj at corenode.com
Fri Jul 14 00:45:30 UTC 2006

1 - SSH daemon changes in 4.11 would be my guess
2 - Changed UID/GID for postfix user. You need to chown/chmod the spool directory/contents properly using the new postfix user account UID/GID
3 - No idea.

Your best bet is going to be reinstall, it'll be much less painful IMO. Secondly, the way you are handling this, is bad. It may have worked for a long time, but it's not the correct way to go about this.

#1 - You should not allow root login via ssh. You should ssh as a normal user and su. This is for all cases, not just automated processes. Bad bad bad.

#2 - Although you didn't explain why, it *seems* as if you're copying the master.passwd file/rebuilding your pwdb to make sure user accounts are synched on the machines? If so - no comment, other then stop right now. In this kind of deployment, where you have multiple servers which need to have synchronized user accounts, you need to setup some kind of directory server (LDAP would be most common - OpenLDAP is a free LDAP server.) Then your servers can do authentication via the LDAP store. Virtual users in postfix can be handled the same way.

Good luck,
David

PS - I cannot strongly enough reiterate, the master.passwd copying deal is *really* not the best way to do this, and remote root logins are a bad idea.