Password file

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Thu Jul 13 23:19:45 UTC 2006

Ok, Ive done something dumb.

I did this on another server and its been working fine for over a year.

A copy of the master.passwd file is copied from server1 to server2. A
new master.passwd file is built from this copy on server2, so the files
are identical between machines. This happens twice every hour.

Server2 is a mail machine running postfix for outgoing mail only and
nothing has ever had a problem with this building of password files.

FreeBSD 4.10 on both machines.

I setup a 4.11 machine a while back and its been acting as a master
nameserver. Now I wanted this to be setup as a secondary mail server for
outgoing mail as a kind of back up machine.

So I built Postfix, same version as the current one running, setup root to
ssh in with no passwd. I copied the master.passwd and passwd files to
backup copies, copied the master.passwd from server1 and built a new
passwd file using pwd_mkdb just as I do on the mail machine.

Now Ive got problems.

1) I can not login via ssh, though root can still login, as its setup via
key login.
2) Postfix gives me errors now about permission denied over its spool.
3) I'm afraid to restart named as I'm afraid it will be hosed now too.

I copied the original files back but still get the same errors. Am I hosed
or is there a way to fix this?

Ive been doing this on various systems for a while now, but this is the
first time its buggered on me.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Keith