IAMP servers in FreeBSD for ISP

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Fri Jul 7 15:31:38 UTC 2006

On Thu, July 6, 2006 8:46 pm, David J. Orman wrote:
> The only thing I'll warn you about, it uses a proprietary
> mailstore format, so if you ever migrate you'll need a converter. Just
> a heads up so you know what you're getting into! It was quite fast and
> handled heavy load well (until I experienced the corruption.)

I used to think that, until someone told me to actually look at the
messages on disk.  Cyrus uses Maildir format for the actual messages.
It keeps a bunch of extra databases for things like message status,
message count, indexing and the like.  But the actual messages are
stored as plain Maildir.  You can view all the messages with any text
editor.

To "convert" messages between any two IMAP servers, I've found the
imapsync program to work the best.  It sync any two accounts on any
two IMAP servers (or any two accounts on one IMAP server).  Since it
uses IMAP to do the sync, the actual message storage format doesn't
matter.  The IMAP servers just pass plain text around.  :)  Works like
a hot damn, and is a lot simpler, easier, better than all those
mbox2maildir-type perl scripts.

----
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net