IAMP servers in FreeBSD for ISP

David J. Orman ormandj at corenode.com
Fri Jul 7 03:46:09 UTC 2006

I use it on Solaris machines (now that Solaris is also free), because
I couldn't find anything on FBSD that was even close to comparable. I
still use FreeBSD for all my webserving needs, but Solaris is 100%
better from the NFS standpoint (they invented NFS, if I'm not
mistaken!) and my own tests showed the NFS performance was absolutely
superior. As you'll commonly hear, pick the best tool for the job.
FreeBSD makes a better apache platform, so that's what I run apache
on. All of my java web apps are on Solaris using parts of the JES
stack. My identity management is on Solaris (JES - great LDAP server)
as well as my file stores (ZFS... if you've kept up with things, you
should understand) as well as the much improved NFS performance. My
mail is Solaris, I've seen 100,000+ mail accounts on JES servers with
no issues. But again, wait for JES5 if you're interested in giving it
a shot, JES4 really is too much of a pain to learn at this point.

In the meantime, I highly suggest Dovecot. There are some features
that might not be there that you're looking for, I haven't kept up
with Dovecot since I stopped using it. Cyrus as everybody mentioned
is excellent as well. I had bad experiences with mailstore corruption
a long while ago with Cyrus, it left a bad taste in my mouth, but
those things have likely been ironed out by now (and were recoverable
even then.) The only thing I'll warn you about, it uses a proprietary
mailstore format, so if you ever migrate you'll need a converter.
Just a heads up so you know what you're getting into! It was quite
fast and handled heavy load well (until I experienced the corruption.)

Cheers,
David