DHCP error.

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Thu Jul 6 12:17:24 UTC 2006

On Wed, Jul 05, 2006 at 05:33:21PM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> Jul  4 10:00:00 netreg dhcpd: unable to create icmp socket: Operation not
> permitted
> Jul  4 10:00:00 netreg dhcpd: Can't open /var/db/dhcpd.leases for append.

You are running dhcpd as root, aren't you?

It's just that:

> From: Cron <operator at netreg> /usr/libexec/save-entropy
>
> Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.4
> Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
> All rights reserved.
> For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
> unable to create icmp socket: Operation not permitted
> Can't open /var/db/dhcpd.leases for append.

It seems that this cronjob is running as user 'operator'. But why would
/usr/libexec/save-entropy be invoking the DHCP server?

I can only guess that the filesystem is seriously toasted. Perhaps you
should reinstall from scratch, and using a fresh CD-ROM or over FTP (you
could install 6.1, although I use isc-dhcpd under 6.0 without any problem)

$ pkg_info -I isc\*
isc-dhcp3-server-3.0.3_1 The ISC Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol server

Regards,

Brian.