DHCP error.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Thu Jul 6 00:33:22 UTC 2006

Hi. Having an issue with dhcpd.

Fairly new install of a FreeBSD 6.0 machine, not in production yet.

Installed dhcp 3.0.3 from ports. Made it without jail and chroot and was
getting:

Jul  4 10:00:00 netreg dhcpd: unable to create icmp socket: Operation not
permitted
Jul  4 10:00:00 netreg dhcpd: Can't open /var/db/dhcpd.leases for append.

Dug around for a while and best I could find was that the icmp socket
error was due to BPF, which was still in my kernel.

All permissions were the same as Ive got two other dhcp servers, one under
BSD/OS and one under FBSD 4.8, both with slightly older versions of dhcp
running on them and have had for 3+ yrs. I'm putting in a new dhcp server
to take the place of the other two.

I deinstalled the port and installed the latest dhcp 3.0.4 from source.
Was still getting the errors.

Went back to the original generic kernel, still same errors. Since the day
I installed dhcp and added it to rc.conf I'm getting messages from:

From: Cron <operator at netreg> /usr/libexec/save-entropy

Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Server V3.0.4
Copyright 2004-2006 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/
unable to create icmp socket: Operation not permitted
Can't open /var/db/dhcpd.leases for append.

Anyone lend a clue or two here on why the append and icmp errors are
coming up?

Thanks,
Keith