Related to: http://ryxi.com/freebsd/68-149-courier-imap-not-starting-read.shtml

Brian Candler B.Candler at pobox.com
Fri Apr 28 19:07:59 UTC 2006

On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 09:45:56AM -0700, Eric De La Cruz Lugo wrote:
> /home/postfix/sipse.com.mx/.Sent
>                           /edelacruz/cur
>                                     /new
>                                     /tmp
> Postfix delivers the mails I send with Kmail, but when
> i want to check mails trough the pop3, i have errors
> saying:
>
> can't chdir Maildir

courier-imap first does a chdir(homedir), then does chdir(maildir)

So how to make this work depends on what authentication module you are using
for courier-imap's authdaemond. You will need to set it up so the account in
question has homedir=/home/postfix/sipse.com.mx/edelacruz and MAILDIRPATH=.
or homedir=/home/postfix and maildir=sipse.com.mx/edelacruz

> In order to make some test I have to change the
> MAILDIRPATH=Maildir variable inside the
> /usr/local/etc/courier-imap/imapd  and
> /usr/local/etc/courier-pop3/pop3d files
>
> to the following value:
>
> MAILDIRPATH=sipse.com.mx/edelacruz/

That's a static default value which is shared by all accounts which don't
have their own explicit 'maildir' setting.

Like I say, this depends on exactly what authentication module you're using.
If you're using authpam / authpwd / authshadow, then the accounts cannot
have their own independent maildir setting, so you should set MAILDIRPATH=.
and the homedir of each account to point to the right place.

However if you're using authuserdb, authmysql, authpgsql or authldap, then
you can configure each account to have both its own homedir and own maildir
setting.

If you're using authvchkpw then you'll have to look at the source code, as I
don't know vpopmail.

> In MySQL 4.1.13 I have the postfixadmin tables and the
> mailbox table contains a maildir field with the proper
> value, but it seems that courier-imap is not taking
> that value when trying to connect to the 110 and 143
> ports.

Then show your authmysqlrc file, and a sample row from your mailbox table.

Regards,

Brian.