What machine connected to particular nfsd?

Francisco Reyes lists at stringsutils.com
Mon Apr 17 17:26:57 UTC 2006

David Gilbert writes:

> Yeah.  There shouldn't be any such relationship.  NFSd's service the
> queue of independant NFS requests independantly.  When we say that NFS
> is stateless, we mean that each NFS request is independant of other
> NFS requests --- and that means that there's no requirement for any
> NFS process to service on client's requests.

Right. That makes sense.

> Anyways... our current NFS implementation makes one NFSd very busy and
> the remaining NFSd's exponentially less busy on average.  In fact, you
> can think of the number of NFSd processes as "concurrency" in NFS I/O,
> not clients.

True. Had forgotten about that.

While on the topic of nfs a few questions.

What would be a good way to determine how many nfsd proccesses one should have?
I erred in the side of caution since had to literally through an NFS setup
into production without been able to do much testing. Set 35 processes.
My busiest nfsd are:
250 hours
50  "
24  "
11  "
7   "
4   "
3   "
2   "
1   "

The rest are under 1 hour. Does that mean that I should be ok with 10
processes?

To kill the least active ones, I just "kill" them? or is there a better way
to restart the whole nfs server side?

> trafshow will more quickly give you a handle on the traffic per
> client.

Thanks much. I see two versions in the port. Trafshow and trafshow3. Which
one you recommedd?