What machine connected to particular nfsd?

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Mon Apr 17 14:52:23 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Francisco" == Francisco Reyes <lists at stringsutils.com> writes:

Francisco> I had an nfsd proces which was using up all the I/O the
Francisco> machine could handle. I could kill it, but another nfsd
Francisco> will again will just pickup the process.

Francisco> I am basically trying to tie up the process ID from ps/top
Francisco> to a particular machine connecting to that particular nfsd
Francisco> daemon.

Yeah.  There shouldn't be any such relationship.  NFSd's service the
queue of independant NFS requests independantly.  When we say that NFS
is stateless, we mean that each NFS request is independant of other
NFS requests --- and that means that there's no requirement for any
NFS process to service on client's requests.

The reason we run 'nfsd' and have 'nfsd' processes is that the purpose
of nfsd is (in general) to put a process context into the kernel to
"own" the I/O that the NFSd does... and also to schedule the work that
NFSd does.  With 6.x and 7.x containing threads, there's little
barrier to running without nfsd (making this a true kernel service)
like Solaris does.

Anyways... our current NFS implementation makes one NFSd very busy and
the remaining NFSd's exponentially less busy on average.  In fact, you
can think of the number of NFSd processes as "concurrency" in NFS I/O,
not clients.

So... likely, your request is already answered --- that one NFSd busy
and others much less busy is a normal state of a running system... but
just in case:

Francisco> My guess is that a program was having problems and was
Francisco> doing lots of transactions... at the client.. problem is
Francisco> that I don't know which client machine.

Francisco> I tried tcpdump, but that pretty much showed me all the nfs
Francisco> clients. :-(

Francisco> Anyone else with NFS servers have had to deal with a rogue
Francisco> client? In particular finding out which client it is.

trafshow will more quickly give you a handle on the traffic per
client.

Dave.