ppp & lqr problem - Warning: lqr_RecvEcho: Got packet size 6, expecting 12 !

Sten Daniel Sørsdal lists at wm-access.no
Mon Apr 10 01:33:55 UTC 2006

Alen Sarkinovic wrote:

> I'm using freeBSD 5.5-PRERELEASE #1 with pppd version 2.3 patch level 5 for
> pppoe termination on cable network system for a long time but today one of
> our customers reported problem regarding reconection every 2 minutes.
> Actualy customer is trying to connect InnoMedia MTA 3328-2R device
> (Net2Phone Service) using build in pppoe client software.
>
> I get this error from ppp.log ->

In reference to page 36 in:

http://cs.uni-bonn.de/ppp/rfc/rfc1661.txt

It's supposed to be 6 bytes (minimum). Initially echo's were no more
than 6 bytes (not considering any padding). In the later RFC's a Data
field was added which must be copied into Echo-Reply packet.
It is possible that FreeBSD adds 6 bytes but the InnoMedia device does
not respect this?

In which case you might want to modify ppp or (better) contact InnoMedia
to get an updated firmware?

--
Sten Daniel Sørsdal