Mysql5/PHP5 installed from ports on FBSD 6

Derrick T. Woolworth dwoolworth at gmail.com
Thu Apr 6 08:07:12 UTC 2006

Well, Keith, Riemer is right - those values for MYSQL_INCLUDE and MYSQL_LIBS
are correct.  I'm running the same config on FreeBSD 6.0 and show the same
values, so I just assumed it might be your mysql client libraries weren't
available, but more likely than not, if that were the case, Apache wouldn't
start or would give and error about not being able to load the mysql module.

Make sure you have display_errors turned on - set error_reporting to E_ALL
and restart Apache and see if you get a better error message.

And I really hate to say this, but if all else fails, reboot.

On 4/6/06, Keith Woodworth <kwoody at citytel.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Apr 2006, Riemer Palstra wrote:
>
> |->On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 11:50:48PM -0700, Keith Woodworth wrote:
> |->
> |->> Active Persistent Links    0
> |->> Active Links       0
> |->> Client API version         5.0.19
> |->> MYSQL_MODULE_TYPE  no value
> |->> MYSQL_SOCKET       /tmp/mysql.sock
> |->> MYSQL_INCLUDE      no value
> |->> MYSQL_LIBS         no value
> |->
> |->Nothing out of the ordinary in this output. Is MySQL still running and
> |->is the socket still there? Also, did you initialize the MySQL database
> |->and set a root password?
>
> Really? having no value above is ok? yes mysql is still running and the
> socket is still in /tmp.
>
> I did init the database - mysql_install_db, change the perms/ownership as
> mysql was not starting and a quick google showed me that problem.
>
> Didnt set the root yet...shortcutting things now as Ive been staring at
> php and perl all day and starting to get tired.
>
> |->> oh thats not good, seeing the INCLUDE and LIBS with 'no value'. So
> |->> copy over a small test db and some php scripts to the new server, all
> |->> I get output is 'error' when doing a sql query via php...nothing in
> |->> httpd-error.log like my other php4/apache1.3 machine either, so I
> dont
> |->> know how its failing.
> |->
> |->By copying over a test db, do you mean importing an SQL dump, or did
> you
> |->just copy over some files? Also, are the privileges on the test
> database
> |->right and does it show up when you do a SHOW DATABASES; ?
> |->
> |->And 'error' is the only thing the script spits out? That's a bit hard
> |->for diagnostics, IMHO.
>
> Created the directory under /var/db/mysql, copied over the 3 files that
> make that database up. Login to mysql and the database is there, show
> tables shows the table and a select * from <table> gives me the data that
> I know is there.
>
> And yes 'error' is the only thing that gets output to the browser when the
> php script gets hit. I know its not great.
>
> I think I need to look at mysql more as I did things a bit quick and dirty
> here.
>
> Thanks.

Derrick T. Woolworth, President
ServeTheWeb, LLC.  http://www.ServeTheWeb.com