adsl setup

Peter Hoskin peterh at 10mbit.biz
Tue May 17 02:21:09 PDT 2005

Suporte Matik wrote:

>I heard this too, it was once in Tequilajuana wasn't it?
>But I heard also it's better to look after an old water supply
>company, seems the  lead canes they used have better througput and
>you might be able to get full-duplex adsl to each household. And if
>it does not work out you still can melt them and make car batteries.
>So no risk at all :)

Its done in Australia with Privately Attached Phone Lines (PAPL) which
is virtually a copper pair that runs from one premises to the other,
without going via the exchange (but not always). If you're going to a
different suburb which has its own exchange, it obviously travels
through exchanges. Telstra recently started coiling all PAPL lines which
makes operating DSL over them impossible. Wonder if the Canadian telecos
offer anything like this.

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=dsl+papl&btnG=Google+Search&meta=lr%3Dlang_en

has lots of info on the subject.

Regards,