adsl setup

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Mon May 16 16:52:02 PDT 2005

On 5/16/05, Jim Pazarena <fisp at ccstores.com> wrote:
> can someone point me to a source of info for offering
> ADSL to my customers?

I know a lot, but it's all stuff I've learned while doing it.

> would like to investigate offering ADSL _without_ asking
> my telco for info.

Nearly impossible, unfortunately. To offer DSL, you need to have
access to the copper pair running to the customer prem. And in most
areas, that is all telco owned.

The other one I heard was to buy an old alarm monitoring company, as
they used to have dedicated copper run to each building for the alarm
system.

Otherwise, you have to enter into an agreement with the telco to
colocate a DSLAM in their office and gain access to the copper pairs.

The other option would be reselling DSL ports for the telco, but in my
experience that has not been a great money-maker.

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator