Bind & cPanel

Jacob S stormspotter at 6Texans.net
Mon Mar 28 07:55:35 PST 2005

Ok, since I noticed a couple other people saying they use cPanel in a
different thread, I thought I would go ahead and ask my question here.
I'm maintaining a FreeBSD 5.3 box that's running cPanel, Apache 1.3,
Bind 9.xx, Qmail/Exim and friends. (Yes, the mail server is a little bit
of an odd setup. Exim is a 'catchall' and Qmail is just for transferring
mail to a second server that does the real sending.)

The problem is that Bind has crashed on us twice now, presumably from
changes that cPanel makes during it's nightly update. One time it was
using a config file pointing to another file outside the chroot, the
other time Bind was installed in /usr/local/sbin, instead of /usr/sbin
so the start script in /etc/rc.d would not work any more. I'm really
starting to dislike cPanel by this point, but we need it for the time
being because of it's "user-friendliness" for customers on the server.

First, I'm having trouble getting Bind to install itself in /usr/sbin
again even after a fresh make clean, make all, etc. from the ports. The
Makefile looks correct compared to another FreeBSD server with Bind
that's not using cPanel. What am I missing?

Second, how do people prevent cPanel from messing things up? Since we
watch the software for security updates and keep everything up to date,
is there an easy way to disable cPanel's intrusive 'updates'?

Many thanks for any helpful tips or hints anyone can offer.

Jacob