Network oriented services with FreeBSD

Bob Martin bob at buckhorn.net
Sat Mar 26 06:53:21 PST 2005

We do all of our routing and firewalls with FreeBSD, instead of
dedicated equipment like Cisco. In short, a Xeon based PC (we're using
mostly ~2ghz, single processor boxen) that can be bought for less than a
$1000 will do almost anything a $15,000 dollar name brand router will
do. And it will do a few things the named brand units wont, like traffic
analysis. Instead of having the dedicated equipment and a server, we
just have a server.

Most of our servers are in data centers, so a simple NIC handles the
Internet pipe. We do have a couple of boxen with T1 cards, and one with
a T3 card. The prices of the cards are higher than you would pay for
dedicated hardware blades, but the TCO is still much lower.

We don't do QoS. But I've talked to several folks that have had good
luck with 5.3 and ALTQ. You can do some pretty amazing things with
netgraph and dummy net, QoS should be pretty simple.

FreeBSD isn't, to my knowledge, easily clustered. I know we don't have
anything like LVS. But you can use FreeBSD to balance requests to a
server farm.

Like anything, you have to define the job, then the results, and see
what works.

Bob Martin