Passwd file oddity.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Fri Mar 4 18:02:25 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005, Jon Simola wrote:

|->> having a problem on this new machine, though that should not be an issue
|->> as far as I can tell.
|->
|->man pwd_mkdb
|->
|->You need to rebuild the binary DB password files. No authentication is
|->done against the plaintext versions, they are mainly sourced for the
|->DB versions.
|->
|->Another less intensive option is to run 'vipw' and make a small change
|->(add another o to "Charlie Root" for example) and vipw will recompile
|->them for you.

Yea I know...I had a major lapse in memory on that one. I dont know how
or why I managed to miss that step. Just colour me embarrassed by such a
rookie mistake and I'll now go crawl back into my corner....<shaking head,
feeling like a dumbass for posting such a lame question, when I knew the
answer all along>