Passwd file oddity.

Jon Simola jsimola at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:58:28 GMT 2005

On Fri, 4 Mar 2005 09:29:30 -0800 (PST), Keith Woodworth
<kwoody at citytel.net> wrote:

> It seems like the machine is using another passwd file. I have
> passwd/master.passwd in /etc. Is there somewhere else this info is hidden?
> The passwd file is a combo of standard crypt() and md5 hashes, which does
> not seem to bother the mailserver for various things, but seems to be
> having a problem on this new machine, though that should not be an issue
> as far as I can tell.

man pwd_mkdb

You need to rebuild the binary DB password files. No authentication is
done against the plaintext versions, they are mainly sourced for the
DB versions.

Another less intensive option is to run 'vipw' and make a small change
(add another o to "Charlie Root" for example) and vipw will recompile
them for you.

--
Jon Simola
Systems Administrator