Passwd file oddity.

Keith Woodworth kwoody at citytel.net
Fri Mar 4 17:29:36 GMT 2005

I just setup a new box w/ FBSD 4.10 as we are slowly migrating from
BSD/OS.

Ive moved a few machines to FBSD and am now to the point I just copy the
passwd and master.passwd files over from one machine to another for users.

Our main mail server has been running 4.10 for 5 months now and copied the
passwd files over from the mail server to the new machine. Same OS
version, same ssh version ( I upgraded from the stock sshd that comes with
4.10) as well as a few other pieces of software.

The wierd thing is that the new machine still seems to be trying to use
the old passwd files. I try ssh'ing into the new machine using my current
passwd and it fails. But I can login via my old passwd that I used to
setup this machine.

I went to setup a directory for a user, went to chown it to the user but
get an error unknown user, even though the user is in passwd and
master.passwd.

It seems like the machine is using another passwd file. I have
passwd/master.passwd in /etc. Is there somewhere else this info is hidden?
The passwd file is a combo of standard crypt() and md5 hashes, which does
not seem to bother the mailserver for various things, but seems to be
having a problem on this new machine, though that should not be an issue
as far as I can tell.

Ive not run into this before and have copied the passwd files over from
machine to machine before a few times with no problem.

Anyone have an idea here?

Thanks,
Keith