qmail and signatures

W.D. McKinney dee at akwireless.net
Tue Sep 23 17:27:55 PDT 2003

I know of a patch for qmail that does allow for this. So, yes, we can do
this with qmail, reliably. And, yes, it's a frequent question on all MTA
lists for sure.

Dee

On Tue, 2003-09-23 at 16:23, Colin Campbell wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 21:54:39 -0800
> "W.D. McKinney" <dee at akwireless.net> wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >
> > Did you ever get your question answered ?
> >
> > Dee
> >
> > On Fri, 2003-09-12 at 07:17, Michael Sig Birkmose wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I don't know if this is a good place to ask this question or if I should do
> > > it at an qmail site...
> > >
> > > Anyhow we are setting up an server (running FreeBSD of course) with qmail as
> > > MTA. We are interested in adding signatures to all our outgoing emails.
> > > Is this possible to do on a SMTP level with qmail? The tricky part is that
> > > it would be very nice if signatures also gets added to html mails...
>
> This question is asked frequently on the postfix-users list. The answer is that
> you can't do it reliably. If the message is plain text you are fine but once you
> introduce MIME you have problems. You can't just tack the signature on the
> bottom because it breaks all the mime encoding. You have to basically
> disassembl;e the message and reassemble it with a new mime section, the
> signature. This can conveniently be done using a content filter.
>

> Colin
> --
> Colin Campbell
> Unix Support/Postmaster/Hostmaster
> Citec
> +61 7 3227 6334
W.D.McKinney (Dee)	    | Affordable E-Mail and Internet Solutions
Alaska Wireless Systems	    | for Schools, Libraries, Clinics & Business'
http://www.akwireless.net   | Call 1-907-349-4308