FreeBSD 4.9-PRERELEASE SMP Problem!

Devin dreamboy at aros.net
Wed Sep 10 22:42:26 PDT 2003

We currently have a Dual Athlon MP 2000+ Processor machine
using an ASUS A7M266-D motherboard running the latest
FreeBSD Stable source. What happened is the main drive in the
machine decided to stop working so I put in a new hard drive
and restore the system onto the machine using the restore command.
I notice that now when the machine tries to boot up using the SMP kernel
it gets to the point where it says "CPU #1 Launched" and then
the machine reboots. I notice that if I boot the machine up
with 1 processor kernel it boots just fine. After looking at
the dmesg output it appears that a normal kernel would
normally do:

Waiting 5 seconds for SCSI devices to settle
Mounting root from ufs:da0s1a

So it appears maybe when in the SMP kernel it reboots around
the time that it is suppose to be mounting the main root filesystem?

I checked and the BIOS is seeing both processors just fine I am
just not sure what could be the problem since I have never seen
this behavior before.

Any ideas would help greatly.

Devin Atencio