Serial line fbsd installation with no CD

Jez Hancock jez.hancock at munk.nu
Sat Apr 12 10:24:01 PDT 2003

Hi Sêrêciya,

On Sat, Apr 12, 2003 at 09:39:21AM -0700, Sêrêciya Kurdistanî wrote:
>   Two questions:
>
>   1) do you already have the serial connection set up between the two servers?
>      (if not, i'm attaching an example ppp config below)
Yes a serial connection can be established between the two servers.  As I mentioned
in my last post one box is production and one is 'dev' (which we're migrating to).

>   2) do you have a floppy drive on the server that you want to do the install
>      on?
Part of the problem is lame NOC support, hence the desire to do all of this
remotely without external support (ie no external peripherals at all).

> > The current OS are FreeBSD 4.6.2 and as such I am unable to
> > adequately make world to the latest STABLE release.
>
>   Please explain.  The connection is set up?  What are you using?  NFS?
Ok I hope you got my last mail to the list in which I explained how I upgraded
to 4.8-STABLE :) Essentially I connected from the production server to the dev
server via serial connex (minicom) and upgraded that way.

I have a feeling the process of updating the source might have been flawed and
also I have a sneaking suspicion that I left out IPFW2 from make.conf at the time.
(IPFW2 was is currently the main problem which we want to be using for traffic
shaping and prioritizing).

Many thanks for your response and your PPP script - much obliged :)

Kind regards,

Jez