awful noise on isdn card

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Fri Jun 9 10:01:55 UTC 2006

On Friday 09 June 2006 11:28, badpit at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I have AVM Fritz PCI v2.1 and have installed isdn4bsd v 1.6.0 and
> chan_capi 1.6.0 versions. Using FreeBSD 6.1 STABLE
> The card is found:
>
> # isdnconfig -u 0
> controller 0 = {
>   Layer 1:
>     description : AVM Fritz!Card version 2 PCI
>     type        : passive ISDN (Basic Rate, 2xB)
>     channels    : 0x3
>     serial      : 0xabcd
>     power_save  : off
>     dialtone    : enabled
>     attached    : yes
>     PH-state    : Activate indication (priority=8/9)
>   Layer 2:
>     driver_type : DRVR_D_CHANNEL
> }
>
> but when i call somebody from it (from asterisk to isdn), the isdn
> party  hears only loud nois (buzzing), while I behind the voip can
> hear him perfectly.
> When somebody calls the isdn card from the isdn pbx, he again hears only
> noise. I have changed the enums with isdnconfig, i have changed many
> options in capi.conf ... but nothing helps me.
> The card is german so it uses alaw by default, which is the codec here ...
> Any ideas what can I try ?

The problem is known. It is a hardware issue and AVM has no documentation
available for their chip. Older versions of the card work. I recommend that
you buy an ISDN card from Cologne chip, namely the "HFC-S PCI A". Those cards
are much better, and will support my new kernel based echo canceller. Many
people sell these cheap on e-bay in Germany. Else they are available from
http://shop.beronet.com

--HPS

PS: Maybe you want to donate your Fritz card so that the problem can get
fixed?