ISDN Drivers on FreeBSD

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed Oct 26 08:16:42 PDT 2005

On Monday 24 October 2005 10:06, Cian Hughes wrote:
> Hey, to be bluntly honest I'm confused as to what to use next with
> regards to ISDN drivers for my AVM B1 PCI v4, basically, I currently
> use C4B and it works well with Asterisk, however I'm building a new 7-
> Current Box at the moment, which I will move the card into when I'm
> finished, which set of drivers, system, whatever is:
>   being most actively developed?
>   most mature?
>   least processor intensive?

I think I can say that my implementation of CAPI 2.0, and the so called "CMSG"
structure, is at least 50% faster, with regard to zeroing of memory, than the
"liblinuxcapi" implementation. "liblinuxcapi" is required by C4B when one is
using "chan_capi" and Asterisk. "liblinuxcapi" will zero some 300 bytes per
message, while I zero around 170. I have optimized this to 0 bytes for
certain messages, like DATA_B3_IND/REQ.

> If I use this new I4B fork, will I in effect go from CAPI to I4b
> internals and back through a CAPI emulation layer to asterisk, or is
> it smarter than that?

My ISDN driver does not yet support active CAPI controllers. But the idea is
that all signals are decoded into a set of common signals, that are then
decoded to I4B and CAPI 2.0. This makes adding more application interfaces
easier.

                                      +---- /dev/i4b
[D-channel] ---- > [common signals] --+
                                      +---- /dev/capi20

So you might have to buy a new "HFC-S PCI A ISDN" card to be able to use my
ISDN driver, or some other passive ISDN device that is supported.

--HPS