[Fwd: Re: Most wanted packet filter]

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Wed Jul 20 12:37:41 GMT 2005

------------------------ Ursprüngliche Nachricht -------------------------
Betreff: Re: Most wanted packet filter
Von:     "Roger Grosswiler" <roger at gwch.net>
Datum:   Mi, 20.07.2005, 14:36
An:      Kövesdán Gábor <gabor.kovesdan at t-hosting.hu>

> Roger Grosswiler wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>i would like to know, which "firewall" is most wanted under freebsd. is
>> it
>>ipfw or is it ipf?
>>
>>i imagine, both have their advantages, but i would like to try first the
most used because of support - poor rookie, i :-D

> Don't forget about the third one, called pf. ;)
> It's a hard question. What does matter is which of them is best the *for
You*. As for me I use ipf and ipfw together. I think ipf is very easy to
configure but ipfw has more sophisticated features, for instance it can
be used for bandwith controlling via dummynet facility. As for pf, I
don't know it.

> Cheers,
>
> Gábor Kövesdán

Thanks Gabor,

I thought so. What i read, i should prefer ipf. What i also would like to
know, whether there someting, the freebsd-world calls "standard"? I mean,
the title of this list is freebsd-ipfw ;-)

Roger