HP rx8620 - ia64 packages.

Émeric Maschino emeric.maschino at gmail.com
Wed Apr 3 19:37:42 UTC 2013

2013/3/29 Anton Shterenlikht <mexas at bristol.ac.uk>

> What do you mean by "X isn't available"?

Well, [1] says: "Port the X server (ports/x11/XFree86-4-Server). Not really
required for tier 1 status, but one cannot truly do without if one wants to
use ia64 as a desktop machine."

> I run xdm on ia64, and all X clients too.
> I run X server on sparc64 desktop.
>
> This is only because my ia64 boxes are large and noisy
> and are best kept in the server room. I'm not aware
> that X server does not run on ia64.

That's interesting. And what about the desktop environments like GNOME or
KDE? Can you run them locally or only remote access?

> If you are interested, I can provide detailed config.

Thanks. I've read that the FreeBSD graphics stack was undergoing major
changes [2] (BTW, x86/x64 only?), but don't know the current status. What
about KMS or Gallium3D for example? On the Linux side, 3D hardware
acceleration is really unstable on my zx6000 without KMS and r300g. And
even with that in, I'm still getting random X freezes.

[1] http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/ia64/todo.html
[2] http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTMwNzA

     Émeric