rx2600 need firmware update?

Zach Wilkinson ztwilkinson at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 29 17:33:44 UTC 2010

I just installed 8.1 onto a HP rx2600. It booted off the netinst CD and the install appears to have gone through fine.

However, when the system rebooted at the end of the install, the EFI menu had not been updated with a FreeBSD boot option. I have never installed FreeBSD onto an ia64 system before, but the other OS I have installed have done that, so I just presume FreeBSD does it as well.

I'm not the original owner of this system, so it's very likely that firmware has never been updated. I'm wondering if the firmware currently installed is defective or somehow incompatible with the FreeBSD/ia64 installer such that the boot menu is not getting updated.

Also, what's the general recommendation regarding firmware on the rx2600, and are any additional steps required to update the EFI boot menu.

Thanks,