new issue on zx6000, spontaneous reboot after sysinstall commit

B. Estrade estrabd at cs.uh.edu
Wed Jul 28 16:24:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 03:52:45PM +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:12:14PM +0000, B. Estrade wrote:
> > Thanks, Anton.
> >
> > I got past the no disk found issue by running the livefs cd/dvd and
> > entering into the fixit environment. I used a dd command and ran
> > newfs; then went back into sysinstall on "disk1" and was able to
> > partition/label with no problem (well, the disk was found).
> >
> > However, once I go through and commit the install, after the
> > partitions and labels are created, the machine reboots without
> > warning.
> >
> > I am wondering -
> >
> > a) is that enough info to garner a guess as to the problem?
> > b) how do I capture useful information regarding this event?
>
> I think Marcel will be very interested in this.
> He's been trying to debug this probably for six
> months now.

It's a known issue? For this machine or a general issue?

> I don't remember having spontaneous reboots at this point.
>
> I'm not sure if newfs is the right tool. You
> need to create GPT on the disk and then add
> partitions. All should be done with gpart(8).

I'll look more into it; it solved the issue of sysinstall not seeing
the drive, but it may just have been the initial

`dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 count=1`

> At what point precisely does the box reboot?
> Straight after you hit commit?

It shows sysinstall creating the parition and running newfs - in fact,
it appears to finish this process.  It is either immediately after or
during this process that it reboots.

> I think the partitions are not really created
> prior to that point, but I might be wrong.

On subsequent sysinstall attempts, going to create the labels does
show the partitions; they have just not been specified with mount
points. I am not in front of the machine atm, but will be tomorrow. I
can verify what I say then.

> sorry for not being of much use

bah! I appreciate your help and intested :)

Cheers,
Brett

--
B. Estrade <estrabd at gmail.com>