new issue on zx6000, spontaneous reboot after sysinstall commit

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Wed Jul 28 14:52:48 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 08:12:14PM +0000, B. Estrade wrote:
> Thanks, Anton.
>
> I got past the no disk found issue by running the livefs cd/dvd and
> entering into the fixit environment. I used a dd command and ran
> newfs; then went back into sysinstall on "disk1" and was able to
> partition/label with no problem (well, the disk was found).
>
> However, once I go through and commit the install, after the
> partitions and labels are created, the machine reboots without
> warning.
>
> I am wondering -
>
> a) is that enough info to garner a guess as to the problem?
> b) how do I capture useful information regarding this event?

I think Marcel will be very interested in this.
He's been trying to debug this probably for six
months now.

I don't remember having spontaneous reboots at this point.

I'm not sure if newfs is the right tool. You
need to create GPT on the disk and then add
partitions. All should be done with gpart(8).

At what point precisely does the box reboot?
Straight after you hit commit?
I think the partitions are not really created
prior to that point, but I might be wrong.

sorry for not being of much use
anton

--
Anton Shterenlikht