The cvsup exporter is dead, Long live cvsup!

Peter Wemm peter at wemm.org
Mon May 26 22:31:58 UTC 2014

Folks..

On May 21st, while trying to tidy up loose ends over the expiration of
RELENG_8_3, I discovered that the exporter was corrupted again.

I glanced back at the previously published milestones for the EOL of the cvsup
export process and they're *all* behind us.

We said it would continue on a "best effort basis until 9.0-RELEASE, 8.3-
RELEASE, 7.4-RELEASE are no longer supported".  These are all expired.

When I discovered that the exporter staging areas were damaged, I added the
usual markers to the cvs files and let them be distributed.  Nobody said
anything that I'm aware of.

Therefore, I am intending to not fix it.  While it could be fixed (again), I
feel it is time to put it to rest.  The temporary transition aid lasted 5
years longer than I imagined.

I'll post a -announce message shortly.  I archived the last changes to the
exporter on ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/development/CVS-archive (they'll be
visible soon), and will be disconnecting the machinery by May 31st.

We provide daily updates for source and ports tarballs for every branch on
ftp.freebsd.org:/pub/FreeBSD/development/tarballs/ so there's a way in from
the cold for even ancient branches.

On a related note:  reminder: if you are mirroring www.freebsd.org via cvsup,
please stop.  See the instructions in the mail I sent a few days ago about how
to obtain it via rsync.

--
Peter Wemm - peter at wemm.org; peter at FreeBSD.org; peter at yahoo-inc.com; KI6FJV
UTF-8: for when a ' just won\342\200\231t do.