FreeBSD mirror in Armenia (fwd)

Hrant Dadivanyan ran at styx.aic.net
Sun Apr 1 07:28:18 UTC 2007

> On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 23:02 +0500, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
> > [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]

> > > Hi, Hrant:
> > >

> > Hi Chin-San,
> >
> > > Sorry for reply your mail lately.
> > >
> > > The parent servers say that the domain am.freebsd.org does not have
> > > any NS records (although they may have some other information on that
> > > zone).
> > > {www1,cvsup1,ftp1}.am.freebsd.org is a CNAME for "www.freebsd.am."
> > > instead of 'NS' record. ~_~"
> > >

> > They're recorded directly in freebsd.org zone as CNAMEs. When setup these
> > records Ken Smith did prefer this way for stability. I can quickly setup the
> > am.freebsd.org zone on three stable DNS servers (two in AM and one in US)
> > if this is better now, though I've no personal preferrence on one way over
> > another.
> >
> > > In my opinion, you can contact dnsadm at FreeBSD for help you(am.FreeBSD.org) to
> > > setup NS record and somethings else.
> > > http://www.freebsd.org/administration.html#t-dnsadm
> > >

> > Okay, I'll ask there.
> >
> > > Finally, I need a contact email for the responsible contact.
> > > Your SOA (Start of Authority) record with "freebsd.am." states that
> > > your DNS contact E-mail address is: ran at styx.aic.net.
> > > I will take it as contact email if you don't mind.
> > >

> > Yes, that's correct.
> >
> > > Here's the patch:
> > > http://people.freebsd.org/~chinsan/doc/am.FreeBSD.mirrors.xml.diff
> > > Could you take a review with this? Thanks.
> > >

> > Looks good, thanks !
>
> Unless the zone will be having a lot of "local activity" we prefer the
> small zones remain under central DNS control.  This makes things a bit
> more stable and it isn't much of a problem if the zones don't have a
> large amount of activity.

I expect no activity, so it's okay.

> The contact email should be "hostmaster at am.FreeBSD.org".  If in the end
> am.FreeBSD.org does become "locally active enough" to warrant separating
> from the main DNS setup part of what they would need to provide is an
> email setup such that this address continues to function properly,
> routing the email to the right people.  Right now email sent to that
> address gets routed through to "mirror-admin at freebsd.org".
>
> Hrant, sorry for dropping the ball on adding am.FreeBSD.org to the
> Handbook.  Chin-san, thanks for picking it up.

Thanks to both of you, I see it's already committed.
Could you please correct handbook part, so the mention of ftp1.am.freebsd.org
contain link to the mirror and add the mirror to IPv6 section on the website ?

Thank you,
Hrant

--
Hrant Dadivanyan (aka Ran d'Adi)			ran(at)psg.com
/* "Feci quod potui, faciant meliora potentes." */	ran(at)styx.aic.net