FreeBSD mirror in Armenia (fwd)

Ken Smith kensmith at cse.Buffalo.EDU
Sun Apr 1 06:56:19 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-03-31 at 23:02 +0500, Hrant Dadivanyan wrote:
> [ Charset ISO-8859-1 unsupported, converting... ]
> > 2007/3/31, Hrant Dadivanyan <ran at styx.aic.net>:
> > > Hi Chin-San,
> > >
> > > Is there any progress ?
> >
> > Hi, Hrant:
> >

> Hi Chin-San,
>
> > Sorry for reply your mail lately.
> >
> > The parent servers say that the domain am.freebsd.org does not have
> > any NS records (although they may have some other information on that
> > zone).
> > {www1,cvsup1,ftp1}.am.freebsd.org is a CNAME for "www.freebsd.am."
> > instead of 'NS' record. ~_~"
> >

> They're recorded directly in freebsd.org zone as CNAMEs. When setup these
> records Ken Smith did prefer this way for stability. I can quickly setup the
> am.freebsd.org zone on three stable DNS servers (two in AM and one in US)
> if this is better now, though I've no personal preferrence on one way over
> another.
>
> > In my opinion, you can contact dnsadm at FreeBSD for help you(am.FreeBSD.org) to
> > setup NS record and somethings else.
> > http://www.freebsd.org/administration.html#t-dnsadm
> >

> Okay, I'll ask there.
>
> > Finally, I need a contact email for the responsible contact.
> > Your SOA (Start of Authority) record with "freebsd.am." states that
> > your DNS contact E-mail address is: ran at styx.aic.net.
> > I will take it as contact email if you don't mind.
> >

> Yes, that's correct.
>
> > Here's the patch:
> > http://people.freebsd.org/~chinsan/doc/am.FreeBSD.mirrors.xml.diff
> > Could you take a review with this? Thanks.
> >

> Looks good, thanks !

Unless the zone will be having a lot of "local activity" we prefer the
small zones remain under central DNS control.  This makes things a bit
more stable and it isn't much of a problem if the zones don't have a
large amount of activity.

The contact email should be "hostmaster at am.FreeBSD.org".  If in the end
am.FreeBSD.org does become "locally active enough" to warrant separating
from the main DNS setup part of what they would need to provide is an
email setup such that this address continues to function properly,
routing the email to the right people.  Right now email sent to that
address gets routed through to "mirror-admin at freebsd.org".

Hrant, sorry for dropping the ball on adding am.FreeBSD.org to the
Handbook.  Chin-san, thanks for picking it up.

--
                                                Ken Smith
- From there to here, from here to      |       kensmith at cse.buffalo.edu
  there, funny things are everywhere.   |