Can't get temperature info from AMD FX-6300 Processor

Oleg Baranov ol at csa.ru
Sat Feb 16 19:47:00 UTC 2013

On 16.02.2013 23:20, Joseph A. Nagy, Jr wrote:
> On 02/16/13 13:08, Oleg Baranov wrote:
>> On 16.02.2013 20:56, Гуляев Гоша wrote:
>>>     Good day!
>>>
>>>     I'm install FreeBSD 9.1-amd64 on new PC with AMD FX-6300 processor
>>> and
>>>     motherboard ASUS M5A97 R2.0
>>>
>>>     I'm tryin include
>>>
>>>     device amdtemp
>>>
>>>     and
>>>
>>>     device coretemp
>>>
>>>     in kernel config, but there is no information about processor
>>>     temperature through
>>>
>>>     sysctl -a | grep -i temp
>>>
>>>     Here is link to dmesg on pastebin: http://pastebin.com/Vkst8pQn
>>>

>> same for me. I have FX-8120 which amdtemp(4) detects not.
>> there were some patches which you will surely find googling a bit. using
>> them amdtemp will detect k15, but temperature reading are totally
>> wrong :(
>> didn't find an answer since spring 2012 :(
> <snip>
>
> someone, mistakenly responding to me, suggested k8temp. I have no
> experience with that, though.

k8temp was superseded by amdtemp in around 8.0-8.1 release (I think).
Though it doesn't matter when both don't work.
I've managed to get some data from onboard ITE chip. Accuracy is a
really big concern and I doubt it can be trusted. But I've measured
idle/load temperatures by software and additionally using infrared
thermometer when I was building the machine and when I see approximately
the same values I'm thinking it is okay.
Another indirect method for me is to monitor fans. When I can see all of
them working fine and environment temperature is known to be within
reasonable range then I can expect  CPU temperature to be quite
predictable. To use this you have to trust your thermal compound as may
dry with time loosing its capability to transfer heat effectively.