Support for Areca ARC-1300-4x and ARC-1300ix-16x

Stephane LAPIE stephane.lapie at darkbsd.org
Fri Dec 11 06:44:32 UTC 2009

Danny Carroll wrote:
> On 11/12/2009 12:05 PM, Stephane LAPIE wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> While looking for cheap non-RAID SAS controllers for the purpose of
>> building ZFS storage based on storage vaults accessed as JBOD, I came
>> across the following controllers on Areca's website and noticed the
>> mention "BSD/FreeBSD (will be available with 6Gb/s Host Adapter)".
>>
>> They are not reported in the arcmsr(4) manual page, which leaves me
>> confused as to whether these models are supported or not by FreeBSD 8.0
>> at this point, and I would gladly welcome any
>> comment/experience/recommendation related to using these chips in a
>> FreeBSD environment.
>>

> This looks interesting.  It's exactly what I was looking for a few
> months back.  In the end I settled on a 1230-ML and could not be
> happier.  Any ideas of the price?
> Keep in mind though this card does not appear to have battery backed cache.
>
> That is one of the reasons I was keen on the 1230-ML.   When you
> configure the drives in passthrough (not JBOD!) mode, you take full
> advantage of the cache.
>
> Just my 0.02c worth.

I actually just received a reply from the FreeBSD Areca driver
developer, it should be ready some time around Q1 2010.

By the way, would anyone happen to know if you can use the DELL PERC/6i
controller in JBOD ? I have checked the documentation and every setting
you can think of but it seems you can only access drives as a virtual
disk (and thus, RAID).
--
Stephane LAPIE, EPITA SRS, Promo 2005
"Even when they have digital readouts, I can't understand them."