Support for Areca ARC-1300-4x and ARC-1300ix-16x

Danny Carroll fbsd at dannysplace.net
Fri Dec 11 05:46:43 UTC 2009

On 11/12/2009 12:05 PM, Stephane LAPIE wrote:
> Hello,
>
> While looking for cheap non-RAID SAS controllers for the purpose of
> building ZFS storage based on storage vaults accessed as JBOD, I came
> across the following controllers on Areca's website and noticed the
> mention "BSD/FreeBSD (will be available with 6Gb/s Host Adapter)".
>
> They are not reported in the arcmsr(4) manual page, which leaves me
> confused as to whether these models are supported or not by FreeBSD 8.0
> at this point, and I would gladly welcome any
> comment/experience/recommendation related to using these chips in a
> FreeBSD environment.

This looks interesting.  It's exactly what I was looking for a few
months back.  In the end I settled on a 1230-ML and could not be
happier.  Any ideas of the price?
Keep in mind though this card does not appear to have battery backed cache.

That is one of the reasons I was keen on the 1230-ML.   When you
configure the drives in passthrough (not JBOD!) mode, you take full
advantage of the cache.

Just my 0.02c worth.

-D