Question on the Intel 945G chipset

Vince Hoffman vince at unsane.co.uk
Mon Sep 15 18:37:17 UTC 2008

manish jain wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Till now I have been using FreeBSD 6.2 on a Tomato motherboard with an Intel 810 chipset and never had any problems configuring xorg with the i810 driver.
>
> I am now planning to upgrade to a new system with an Intel 945G chipset which has an integrated GMA 850 graphics core.
>
> Does FreeBSD 6.2 support the Intel 945G chipset ? If yes, what video driver would I need to use while configuring xorg ?
>
> If not, can you please suggest some other fairly recent Intel chipset which would work well with FreeBSD 6.2 and xorg ?

I dont remember if I tried on 6.x but using the intel driver
(xf86-video-intel) on 7.x worked very well for me in a Intel 945gm
chipset. Its certainly supported on 6.x
(http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/sys/dev/drm/drm_pciids.h?rev=1.2.2.4;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=RELENG_6
and look for i945)

Vince