ADSL for use on server

Vladimir Konrad v.konrad at lse.ac.uk
Thu Jun 9 08:56:10 GMT 2005

> Hi,
>
> I'm switching from cable to ADSL in a month and I was wondering what (kind of) modem I should best go for. Would it best be one that connects to a NIC or to USB. I'm now using a (console) NAT & proxy server, with which I should be certain it works. For this, I would like to have some possibility to automatically dial at boot time (or if the modem takes care of that, even better).
I am usig a Draytek modem for more than a year without a problem. It was
quite cheap. It has for Ethernet network ports and the set-up is done
through web interface. The firmware can be (and was, in my case) updated
(not that there was a problem with the old one).

The modem can do VPN, NAT, port forwarding and more...

Hope this helps...

Vladimir

PS: I am in the UK on Pipex internet provider...