FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server

Nick Evans nevans at talkpoint.com
Fri Aug 19 15:59:20 GMT 2005

On Fri, 19 Aug 2005 22:00:16 +1000
Dean Hamstead <dean at bong.com.au> wrote:

<snip>

> if your really dying for performace, go back to the ports tree
> and try compiling for better performance. ie mysql can compile
> static for (what it claims) better performance, and  there is
> one other option that eludes me. im not sure if linuxthreads
> is faster than native threads
>
> you may also find mysql5 to be faster than 41 (assuming mysql)
>

> Dean

Linking/libmapping mysql against libthr gave a big performance boost on
RELENG_6 on our dual Opteron test server. Certainly much more than the compile
time options. It's been stable too and we beat the hell out of it.

sledgehammer# more /etc/libmap.conf
[/usr/local/libexec/mysqld]
libpthread.so.2         libthr.so.2
libpthread.so.1         libthr.so.1