FreeBSD hardware solution for a database server

jmc jcagle at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 13:06:38 GMT 2005

For the best database-write performance on the DL380G4, make sure you
have the Battery-Backed Write Cache (BBWC) option.

The more spindles you have, the better.  Are you using all 6 drive
bays in the 380?  Make sure they're all Ultra320 drives.  15K will
give the best performance, but the 10K drives aren't too shabby.
RAID0 will give the best performance, but it's not redundant.  Next is
RAID1, then RAID5 or ADG.

You might also try a DL385 (dual socket Opteron) or DL585 (quad socket
Opteron) which will give you either 4 or 8 procs (if they are dual
core).

Regards,
John
http://people.freebsd.org/~jcagle/