BSD PPPoA Hardware

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Tue Aug 16 10:37:04 GMT 2005

Simon Morgan wrote:
> On 8/16/05, Julian Stacey <jhs at berklix.org> wrote:
> > My Deutsch Telekom provided splitter has an 8 pin output for the
> > DT provided ADSL modem, which is what I use.  I have a recently
> > acquired, never used SpeedTouch 330 with a 2 wire terminating in a
> > 6 pin plug. (D'loaded manual last night) I've not had time to
> > consider a 6 / 8 converter.
>
> Which modem is is that Deutsch Telekom provide?

Don't know manufacturer & model.  Badged with own name. 19 x 16 x 4 cm. White.

> Does it support PPPoA

Didnt know about PPPoA 'til (see below **)
I'm using PPPoE
  This article has interesting URLs
	http://www.ruhr.de/home/nathan/FreeBSD/tdsl-freebsd.html
  (I'm lucky & can read the german text too, if you cant & want to , try
	http://www.babelfish.org

SpeedTouch 330 manual (http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm) says @ P.9
it supports PPPoE & PPPoA

Trying
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html
at User & Kernel PPP, I immediately came to	**
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoa.html
  Using PPPoA with the Alcatel SpeedTouch USB

> and work under BSD?

Yes, for years, this mail comes through my PPPoE DT combo. (not Alacatel)

> > What was the No Fun bit of Linux + SpeedTouch 330 as firewall ?
> > Ive heard often enough that Linux is no fun, but if the SpeedTouch
> > 330 has problems what were they please ?
>
> The connection would die on average once a week and would refuse
> to come back up unless I killed pppd, unplugged the modem, plugged
> it back in again and reconnected.

T-DSL service auto disconnects once a day, (to encourage customers
to switch from cheap ADSL with Dynamic IP allocation to SDSL with
fixed IP).  I've never kept a connection up for long, but the daemons
have run for weeks, never been killed for hanging. I suppose in the
maybe 2/3 years Ive had my DT DSL modem, Ive rest it a few times
whil chasing errors, just in case.

> AFAIK the BSD version of the driver
> is in an even worse state (If it even still works).

Seems your need to try is more urgent, so after you try
  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/pppoa.html
it'd be interested to hear if it goes smoothly.

I'm not sure about maping this 2 wire 6 pin SpeedTouch 330 plug to
my DT splitter 8 pin socket. Cant see info in Speedtouch manual, & if
I wired it straight into wall, It'd cut out the splitter & I'd lose
my ISDN telephones, + maybe different voltage expectations ?  Don't
know ? Does anyone else ?

--
Julian Stacey     Consultant Systems Engineer, Munich.     http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html = Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.