irda devices support

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Fri Apr 8 08:14:59 PDT 2005

Martin Roos wrote:
> well i have a usb-irda bridge dongle here, which has drivers under
> linux and windows and even in netbsd, but not in freebsd (how could it
> have drivers on freebsd if the irda support is absent ? )
>
> anyway, gnokii doesn't a thing about usb, so it can't help me out.

Shame, cos I have a new smaller Sony with (I think, serial & usb cables)
I wanted to move over to smaller sony & use USB too.
All I know is:
	I have used infra red between FreeBSD & my Nokia.
	It sometimes will & sometimes won't work, serial usually does
	work though not always: fail to init. lock up.
	(& it's not dirt, & its not device, might be hardware design,
	power levels, frequency drift, or sowtware version related,
	or serial protocol state table programming error.
	I have 2 Nokia 6110 phones to try & I think have used 2
	different laptops, & my brother under Win 95 also had same
	problems sometimes with one of those 6110's on on infra
	red)
	I believe there's more than one form of infra red, but don't
	know which BSD supports, others here doubtless could give
	a more authoratative answer.

> ps. what does your gnokii config look like ?

It seems the stuff I used got removed when I went back to cable,
but as I recall it was no more complex than

	port = /dev/cuaaWhateverNumber
	connection = infrared
& perhaps I only ran it on FreeBSD-4, not 5, 'cos I remember before, my
/dev/gnokii sym link disappearing on 5 (cos /dev is now dynamic),
havent had time to get back to it.

http://berklix.com/~jhs/dots/.gnokiirc

> referring to gnokii's own location i can hardly believe that the irda
> connection works under freebsd (perhaps in serial AT mode in some
> wierd ways?)

Dont know. I have controlled Nokia 6110 from FreeBSD infra red though.
(4 series certainly, maybe 5 too)

-
Julian Stacey        Net & Sys Eng Consultant, Munich       http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii (Html=Spam).  Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.