Hot Swap hardware on FreeBSD?

Stephen P. Cravey clists at gotbrains.org
Fri Jan 23 13:11:48 PST 2004

I'm trying to locate a good resource for creating hot swap capable servers with FreeBSD and Vinum.

Specifically, I'm trying to find out several things:

Are there resources somewhere that document this type of thing? Please?

Do I need controllers for SATA/SCSI that will handle the plugging/unplugging of drives, or do I just need to do a bus rescan (or the like) after the change and notify vinum? i.e. do i need something like an adaptec 2200S or will a 39320 work?

Is there anything in particular I should look for when buying hot swap chassis? Other than SCA for SCSI?

What about Hot swap with Fibre Channel?

What about using FreeBSD in a SAN where it's both serving drives and acting as a client?

Where can I find (recent) performance numbers for raid 0,1,5 comparisons?

What else should I know about this before attempting it?

Thank you.

-Stephen