Support for affordable S-ATA RAID controllers (xs4)

Rogier Krieger rogier at virgiel.nl
Sun Jan 4 15:04:52 PST 2004

Previous correspondence from Mike Tancsa (14:53 4-1-2004 -0500):
>I picked up a couple of 3WARE 8006-2s the other week from
>www.hypermicro.com for $129 USD each which is not much more than the
>Adaptec or Promise cards.

Browsing through the 3ware catalogue, I see that the card is
made for 64 bit PCI slots. Do you know whether it works in
a regular 32 bit PCI slot? Otherwise, I would have to buy a
Xeon board, which are rather expensive (IIRC). For US$ 129,
the cards are definitely a bargain (if they work on a 32bit slot)

>3ware is now officially supporting the card (www.3ware.com).
>[...] I highly recommend the cards.

I have had similar performance in a NetBSD machine. I believe the
NetBSD driver is a port from the FreeBSD one. Performance of the
cards (an Escalade 7000, in my case) is splendid.

The card is somewhat sensitive to the use of proper cables. I had
(minor) problems with arrays until I installed identical 3ware IDE
flatcables. From that point on, everything was fine.

Thanks for the fast reply,

Rogier Krieger